11 August 2007

Believing in the unbelievable

Many cultures have a certain amount of superstition or belief in the supernatural. But it seems that in our science-crazy culture here in the U.S., there is a stigma against believing in what can't be observed (well, I guess that's the antithesis of science). I've always been someone who believes in a greater sense of cosmic energy or even fate, but very skeptical of premonitions and ghosts. I think that's been mostly out of fear. I remember when I was in the 7th grade or so, I went to the Philippines and had my palm read by a fortune teller. She said that she saw me moving a lot and having success in my education. However, she also talked about me getting a divorce of sorts and difficulty with having children. I just don't want to know that kind of stuff. I'd rather be ignorant and deal w/ it when it happens.

My friend just told me about a tarot card reading that she had a year ago, before we became close. In that reading, there was this person who was going to come into her life and play a certain role...but that it would not be revealed for another year or two. She and her friend who did the tarot reading both realized that I am that person...and I have to say that there were details in that reading that creeped the heck out of me. It was so dead on. The other part is that the reading said that I would have a death and then a related birth - of course it is unclear whether that is literal or metaphorical (um, please no babies for me). However, I did lose my grandma this year and have had some other chapters of my life end very recently. I guess I am about to embark on a new life of sorts as I move to Minnesota to pursue my doctorate....so maybe that is the "birth." Then there was also a whole crazy thing about my friend dreaming about my grandma's death before it happened and how she had never met my grandma yet dreamt exactly what she looked like. It's kind of crazy, huh?

I don't know. Being a skeptic can be a lot easier sometimes. I'm still afraid to inquire about the future, yet I am still curious....like watching a scary movie with my hand over my eyes and peeking through. I wonder if any one else has had similar experiences with future prediction or premonitions. I don't want to hear ghost stories, those are just too much for me!

No comments: