08 April 2008

The best romantic movie, Part I: Before Sunrise

I've been feeling a little emo lately, so I thought that I'd rewatch one of favorite movies, and what I think is the best romance ever: Before Sunrise (1995). Directed by Richard Linklater and starring Ethan Hawke (Jesse) and Julie Delpy (Celine), the movie is essentially about Love. Two strangers meet on a train to Vienna, connect, and decide to spend an entire day together until they must leave the next day. 


The movie's original trailer

All "before sunrise," they go through so many of the phases of courtship and love: the initial chemistry that causes the spark (the body language in this film is brilliant), an intense curiosity about the other person's quirks and innermost thoughts, the infatuation and idealization, then the inevitable realization that the other person isn't so perfect and can honestly be quite annoying, and the undeniable feeling that you must be with him/her again despite all his/her foibles and inconvenient circumstances. Then there's also the reality that Love might be there and be very real, yet it may not be enough for the uncertain future. 

I love this movie for all its earnestness and its portrayal of human vulnerability. Our lives can dramatically change when we live in the here-and-now (see the sequel Before Sunset and you'll know what I'm talking about) and when we take that leap towards human connection. Here's my favorite scene from the movie, a perfect example of the movie's sensitivity to the human condition:


My favorite line of the movie:
If there's any kind of magic in this world it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing some thing. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed, but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt. 

1 comment:

1minutefilmreview said...

Loved both films, Delpy, Hawke & Linklater too!