10 February 2008

Cupcake challenge!

My friend/fellow classmate Kimmy and her fiance, Michael, are getting married this July. They are having an official wedding ceremony/reception in New Jersey and a second, more informal reception in Minnesota for those who cannot make it to NJ. Kimmy and Michael decided to forgo a traditional wedding cake for their MN reception in favor of....a glazed donut and cupcake arrangement!!! And who did they commission to make the cupcakes? ME!!! I am sooooo excited!!! Recently, I've been thinking about how much I love cooking and baking...this is a great way for me to indulge my secret dream of a food-related career.

Anyway, I am not sure what the happy couple wants for their flavors, but I'm sure that my roommates, classmates, and friends won't mind if I test out recipes on them! Luckily, I have 5 months to test out recipes and perfect my decorating technique (I decided I'm going to sign up for a Wilton cake decorating course at Michael's or Jo-Ann). In celebration of this wonderful opportunity, here is a portfolio of some of my work:

Orange-Carrot Cupcakes w/ Orange Cream Cheese Frosting and topped with Basic 4 cereal
Recipe adapted from Epurious.com...the proportions of that recipe were whack.


Devil's Food layer cake with Mocha Buttercream Frosting
Not a cupcake, but I'm proud nonetheless. Recipe from Magnolia Bakery cookbook.


Devil's Food w/ Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Recipe from Magnolia Bakery cookbook


White Cake w/ Strawberrberry Preserve filling and Mint-Cream Cheese Frosting, topped w/ unsweetened coconut
A moderately successful experiment.


Chocolate-Chai^2 cupcakes (in honor of my Statistics final)
One of the best cupcakes I've made! Homemade chai spice kicks ass.
Recipe courtesy of Cupcake Blog


Red Velvet Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting, Strawberries, and Blueberries
Recipe adapted from my friend Tina's grandmother and Epicurious.com


Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream frosting
Recipe from Magnolia Bakery cookbook


The infamous boob cupcakes! Conceived by my own crazy mind.
Lemon cupcake w/ lemon buttercream flesh, chocolate buttercream areolas, and choc chip nips

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I am drooling over the devil's food cake with mocha butter cream.